Avoiding Residential Water Damage
Pipes often burst in the winter and we are still well within winter. Leaks and pipe burst can be caused by many reasons other than weather-related so it is important to know causes for preventive measures. Pipes may burst due to poor installation or from aging. Stop a leak before it arises by following preventive measures.
Outdoor Preventive Measures
- Clean out gutters
- Check rooftops to see if it can handle heavy rains and hailstorms
- Remove any tree branches that may hang over your rooftop
- Disconnect any hoses from outdoor faucets and shut off any inside valves that supply water to outdoor faucets.
- Caulk cracks, holes, and any openings in outside walls and near foundation or water pipes
- Wrap any exposed pipes with insulating materials like foam rubber or fiberglass sleeves.
- Weather-strip windows and doors
Indoor Preventive Measures
- Monitor water bills in case there is undetected water damage
- Check appliances for damage or leaks
- Upgrade washing machine hoses, check for old or leaky hoses
- Insulate walls and attics
- Keep fireplace flues closed when not in use
- Keep home temperatures at 55 degrees or warmer
- Ensure heater vents are not blocked
If a pipe bursts in your home shut off the water supply immediately. Once the water supply is shut off contact your insurance company and then contact SERVPRO Citrus Heights / Roseville and Carmichael at 916-966-2601