Protect Your Home From Heavy Rain
Heavy rains are capable of damaging property and the moisture left after a rainstorm can cause mold. It is important to clean up any water left behind by a storm and to dry it right away. Mold can cause health effects to your family. It is critical to make sure your home is effectively protected from heavy rains.
Protecting your Home from Heavy Rains
1. Have your roof inspected regularly. Look for signs of aging, sagging or any other damages. It’s recommended to have inspections done twice a year.
2. Clean debris from gutters and downspouts. Make sure gutters and downspouts are secured and water is properly draining away from the foundation of your home.
3. Ensure that openings like doors and windows, are sealed tightly and painted to prevent wood rot and other damage.
4. Locate low-lying areas on your property that may cause drainage issues. Contact a landscape or drainage professional to further examine the area of concern.
5. Install a sump pump to drain the water from within the structure to a proper area. Have a battery-operated sump pump for backup in case of a power outage.
6. Install a backwater valve to prevent city sewage from backing up into the plumbing system of your basement.
7. Hire a professional to inspect your chimney for cracks and other damage that may allow water to seep in.
8. Purchase sandbags if you live in an area prone to flooding or hurricanes.
If experiencing water damage at your residence contact a professional mitigation and restoration service provider. It can be overwhelming to handle a water damage claim, leave the cleanup and drying of leftover water and moisture to the professionals. SERVPRO of Citrus Heights / Roseville and Carmichael can help. Contact our office at (916) 966-2601.