5 Tips to Protect Your Home From a Fire
When it comes to residential fires, you don’t want to find yourself unprepared. It only takes one unattended candle or a spark from the fireplace to start one of these fires, and once they get started, they can spread quickly, causing extensive damage to your home and belongings. To avoid finding yourself in this situation, use these five tips to protect your home from fire.
1) Check Smoke Detectors
Smoke detectors save lives and can minimize fire damage. Always check that they are functioning properly—you should do it monthly and after every power outage. If you notice any irregularities with your detector, have it checked by a professional immediately. And always be sure you know where all of your detectors are located so you can react quickly in an emergency.
2) Keep an Exit Plan in Mind
Developing an exit plan for your home will keep you, your family and your pets safe from fire damage. Fire safety experts recommend everyone have a family escape plan at all times; know two ways out of every room in your house and make sure that you’re familiar with them. The last thing you want is to panic in an emergency situation, so spend some time becoming acquainted with your house layout and planning escape routes.
3) Do Not Leave Cooking Unattended
Whether you’re boiling water for tea or cooking dinner, it’s easy to get distracted. Even short periods of inattention can lead to disaster. To keep your home safe from fire damage, keep that stovetop covered and never leave cooking unattended.
4) Keep Matches Away from Children
The leading cause of fire-related injuries in children is igniting matches. Don’t allow children to use lighters or strike matches, even if they appear old and dry. Keep all matches out of sight and away from young kids who might play with them or try using them as toys.
5) Store Lighters and Candles in Safe Places
Keep lighters and candles in locked cabinets or on high shelves, away from children. Be careful with matches—keep them away from children as well. When you’re done using them, put them out completely by dousing with water. If you have a gas stove, don’t light burners with the pan on top—the flame could jump onto your countertop and start a fire. Unplug appliances when they aren’t in use; never leave them running while you sleep.