How to Prevent Frozen Pipes
Sacramento has seen cold. Some areas have even seen hard freeze warnings in effect. This can cause pipes to freeze. Not only are they a problem because they prevent the flow of water, but they can also burst. You can however take a few steps to help prevent them from freezing.
- Keep the heat on. Try to keep the temperature above 50 degrees Fahrenheit even when you are not at home.
- Seal up cracks and holes both on exterior and interior walls. This helps keep the cold air out and the warm air in.
- Apply heating tape. Be sure to use the product’s instructions because it can also be dangerous.
- Add extra insulation. Make sure pipes that are locate in basements and attics gave proper insulation.
- Keep interior doors open. Pipes are usually in cabinets. By keeping cabinet doors open, the heat from the rest of the house can keep pipes warm as well.
When the temperature starts dropping low be sure to keep an eye on your pipes.